Sunday, June 12, 2011

Samuel's 6th and 7th Reflections

Reflection for Hospice Visit on the 2nd of June

Today, Joseph, Leon, Jue Fei and I made our way down to the hospice for our weekly visit. However, my friend at the hospice was not there. Although I was quite disappointed that I would be unable to get to chat with my friend like I have every week, I was also quite willing to interact with the other patients as well as to help out with stuff at the hospice. It was quite interesting to talk to the other patients, especially the old Hokkien women. As there were at least 5 of them, they were exceptionally chatty and it was fun hearing them talk about random things like a volunteer’s singing for example. Soon, it was time for their usual tea-break at around 3pm, and we helped out by setting the tables, and by helping to serve the patients. After the patients had all left, we helped out by cleaning up the place. Jue Fei and I were assigned to clean the fans, while Leon and Joseph were assigned to clean up the chairs. It was more tiring than what we had expected of a normal hospice visit but it was rather worth it. So although I could not get to meet my friend this week, it was good that we could make ourselves useful to the hospice anyway.

-Samuel

Reflection for Hospice Visit on the 9th of June

Since Joseph was on his vacation in Korea, only Leon, Jue Fei and I went down to the hospice today. It has really been a long time since I have seen my friend at the hospice. When I met her today, some students from CJC were there playing some games with the patients. The first game was bingo. It was a rather exciting game but unfortunately my patient did not seem to have the correct numbers to win. After that we proceeded to a fun game of dodgeball. The three of us were not too keen on joining in as joining in the game was a sure ticket to a forfeit. However, seeing that there was not going to be a forfeit this time, I willingly joined in the game. It was a fun game and I was soon the last man standing. I guess it felt good to have everyone cheering for me at one point. After that I soon proceeded to talk to my friend. Today I guess our talk revolved around food. She told me that the food sold outside nowadays were all too greasy and oily and fatty and I agreed with her. We both agreed that the best food was homecooked food. She told me that as she lived with her daughter, if her daughter had to work on that day then she would have to eat bought food. If her daughter did not, then she could eat the food cooked by her daughter. Although it might sound old fashioned, but what she said actually made a lot of sense. The food nowadays are getting really unhealthy and we do need to eat properly to keep healthy. Soon she had to leave and the three of us helped to clean up the chairs. It was a fun and interesting visit to the hospice today.

-Samuel

No comments:

Post a Comment