Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Joseph's Fifth Reflection.

It was the first hospice visit after a long break. It was really unfortunate that my friend wasn’t there. Perhaps he had to go for a checkup at the hospital. In fact, both Jue Fei’s and my friend didn’t come. We ended up planning for the e-travel programme, hoping to make use of the time properly. The other thing that made the visit make its mark on me was that it my first experience taking the hospice bus to help send off the patients off. It turned out pretty well, much better than expected. The planning went pretty well, and we managed to come out with the main points for the places in the e-travel program. For me, nothing much happened during the main visit, and the main thing was the bus ride. There were about six patients in the bus and I ended up talking to Leon’s friend, Auntie Diana. I talked to her for about half the ride, and she started to sleep for the rest of the ride. I felt rather inadequate, as I did not know how to interact with her naturally. I certainly have to work on my skills. She was very friendly though, and very willing to interact. I don’t think that I would be able to go on the bus regularly though, because of time constraints. Also, the NUS students came to the hospice to help too. I felt that they tried to interact with the patients on a one to one basis and tried to get to know them personally, rather successfully I feel. I didn’t get to experience the activities that they were conducting though sadly. It might be possible to cooperate with other schools for more manpower in the future, to conduct better activities for the hospice in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment