Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Back to the Hospice at the end of 2012

So it has been almost two years since we have embarked on this hospice project, and honestly, I think this project has benefited this team even more than it has benefited the patients at the hospice.

Joseph, Jue Fei and I went back to the Hospice last Thursday (15 Nov '12). It has been a long time since we went back, although Jue Fei and I visited somewhere in June but the patients were unfortunately out that day. It was heartening to see that my patient was still there at the hospice and although I felt quite embarrassed to visit her after disappearing for so long, the welcome I got from the patients was more than I had imagined. In any case, it was good seeing the staff and the patients again, and knowing that this project lasted for much longer than the expected one year. I admire my group mates for taking the effort to go back and visit, even though some of their patients may not be there any more.

Service Learning isn't just a project, isn't about the CiP hours. It's about feeling the need to help others just because you want to, not because you have to - and I'm glad that as a group, we're still helping others long after this project has ended.

 -Samuel Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment